Historic preservation of buildings during this time was not as strict or defined as it became later. For its time, simply not demolishing the entire structure was deemed “preservation”. Winslow envisioned many of the interior items – from doors, trim, woodwork, and ornamental plaster – would be reused. Most were carefully dismantled, labelled, catalogued, and stored. Much of the paneling was reinstalled in the main public rooms, but other historic elements were simply copied to accommodate increasing cost and time constraints. Many of the original materials that were not deemed of significantly identifiable historic value, such as marble fireplace mantels, or not deemed to be readily reused, such as pipes, were sent to landfills.
To avoid profiteering from the millions of items being carted away from the work site, the project ran a highly publicized souvenir program. Prior to its establishment in January 1951, over 20,000 requests were made for everything from nails to charred wood. Under the program, people could request an order form. From a warehouse, pre-assembled kits were distributed for as little as 25 cents. The kits included items such an individual brick, nearly a ton of stone, or special paperweights. The program ended in October 1951 and reported a profit of over
Total Area : 1200 Square Feet
Location : Chemperi, Kannur
Plot : 10 Cent
Cost : 20 Lacks
ENGINEERS & CONTRACTORS
Mob : 9562994547, 9539329308
2 Attached bathroom
During the very hasty move-out from the White House in late 1948, the B. Altman and Company department store offered to move and store the more valuable White House furnishings in their climate-controlled warehouses, for a nominal sum. The government deemed it to be “in the interests of the United States” and therefore not subject to public bidding requirements. The store later offered their interior design, decorating, and furniture supply services at true cost with no profit or ability to advertise the work. The government also deemed this to be in the public interest. The Commission provided a budget for the furniture, rugs, draperies, and special wall fabric of just less than the cost to provide temporary sheds during construction.
This budget for 66 rooms allowed for no sourcing of any authentic antiques and resulted in a less than satisfactory furniture selection of antique furniture. However, Benjamin Altman and Company delivered the highest quality furniture possible designed and built by a talented cadre of furniture makers. This included Charles Fiesel, renowned furniture maker, who eventually became the head of interior decorating at B. Altman and Company. Originally from Alsace Lorraine, Fiesel traveled from his Garden City, New York home on sourcing expeditions throughout America in search of the finest wood available (white maple, cherry, oak, and other varieties) designated for furniture that was in design/build status. Furniture that was considered new at the time is now considered masterful and classic American.