Completed in 1992, the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Memorial Library was designed to replace the Alumni Memorial Library, which proved unable to serve adequately the growing student population, to house the vast library collections, and lacked the necessary wiring for modernizing the library with new technological advances. More than double the size of the Alumni Memorial Library, the Weinberg Memorial Library has five floors which can seat anywhere from 700 to 1000 users at cubicles, tables, group study rooms, and lounges.
It currently houses 473,830 volumes, over 15,500 electronic journals, 562,368 microform pieces and 1,709 periodical subscriptions, both current and archived. It is also home to the University Archives and Special Collections, which features many rare books, as well as university records. On the third floor, there are a number of administrative offices as well as two large classrooms which are used for classes based on learning about the library and the services it can provide. The fourth floor has a large reading room featuring a stained glass window and a comfortable, quiet environment in which students can study at tables and couches.
The fifth floor is the Scranton Heritage Room which is a large open hall featuring beautiful views of the city, the surrounding mountains, and the Commons as well as thirty-nine panel paintings by Trevor Southey depict art, religion, and science in the Lackawanna Valley and in the world. Throughout the year, the Heritage Room hosts various exhibits including displays of artifacts and documents from the university’s archives and special collections, showcases of faculty scholarship and university alumni authors, and the library’s Environmental Art Show. The Heritage Room also serves as the venue for many campus and community events such as lectures, receptions, student award presentations, Game Night, and the library’s annual Book Sale.
Since its completion, the Library has continued to adapt to the needs of its students and to update its resources to ensure that the students and faculty have access to new technological innovations. Renovations at the Library include the opening of multiple 24-hour study rooms, including the Pro Deo Room, the Reilly Learning Commons, and, most recently, the entire second floor. The Pro Deo Room contains a computer lab with networked PCs, two laser printers, a vending machine area, and a Java City Café.
Total Area : 1000 Square Feet
Location : Kortty, Thrissur
Cost : 15 Lacks